Pages

Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Wrestling and Limping

That's me.  I am wrestling and limping. 

Genesis 32 records the story of Jacob wrestling with God.  For the life of me, I can't figure out if he wrestled with God, or an angel of God, or with the pre-incarnate Jesus.  I want to believe it was Jesus, but I'm not sure it matters.  Whoever was physically wrestling the night away with Jacob was there on God's behalf.

Why?
Gustave Doré, 1855


I think that it had to do with sufficiency.  Jacob had been self-sufficient for all his life.  Sure, he met with God a few times over the years and had reaped the blessings of the promises given him.  Really, though, God wanted to make Jacob the father of the nation of Israel.  For that to happen, their relationship had to be taken to a new level.  Jacob had to put aside his self, and let God make him someone new.

That's me.

I do believe that God is wrestling with me.  It's exhausting.  Like Jacob, I am determined to hold on until I have been blessed, until God takes me to the next level and makes me someone new.

If you are struggling, perhaps God is wrestling with you.  Please be encouraged.  I know it's hard, but whatever happens, don't.let.go.

No comments:

Post a Comment