Pages

Tuesday, June 21, 2011

The Wonder Hub's Big Day

The poor, beleaguered Wonder Hub had the misfortune of celebrating his 40th birthday on Father's Day.  If it had been me, I would have either

a) thrown a fit, because having two major holidays on the same day is a rip-off, or
b) declared that it didn't matter, seeing how I celebrate my birthday month,

depending on my mood, the phase of the moon, and the attitudes of resident teenagers.

The WH took it in stride, as he is wont to do.

I tried to extend the celebration and spoil him a wee bit more than usual.  On Saturday, we went to the house of some friends for a barbeque.  At this barbeque, among kicking Moose's hiney at singing "It's Tricky" on SingStar and other weird things that I will not mention, we sang "Happy Birthday" and made the WH blow out the 4-0 candles on the cheesecake I either

a) worked my fingers to the bone making from scratch, or
b) bought from Costco.

weird thing I will not mention

Meanwhile, back at the homestead, our dear friends Robert and Julie were slaving away to assemble the basketball hoop I had purchased for the birthday boy.  In addition to hefting and leveling and figuring out just the right location for the imposing structure, Julie ran interference with concerned neighbors and Robert managed to decipher ambiguous directions while allowing his 8-year old son to assist.

The effects of their labors were marvelous.  When we turned the corner, there it was, front-and center in the driveway.

"What is THAT?" was the Wonder Hub's astounded response to our collective giggling. 
"Happy birthday!" we all cried, as boys tumbled out of the truck and onto our new court, where they played 'til dark.

I'm pretty sure the (all girl house) neighbors are thrilled with the constant thump, thump, thumping.  We set off their car alarm twice that first night.  I'm probably going to have to do a lot of baking to make up for it, but it will be totally worth it.

Sunday morning I gave the WH a gift certificate for a massage, which we sent him off for after church.  After a lazy afternoon of "Burn Notice" reruns and general sloth, we grilled this recipe, steamed rice, pulled this pasta salad out of the fridge, packed it all to the table on the deck, lit some candles and chowed down.

kabob photo op

After dinner, we brought out the red raspberry streusel and lit the obligatory trick candles, sang and made the WH blow them out over and over until someone accused him of spitting on the streusel. 

When it was all said and done, when he'd opened his gifts from the boys, when the table was cleared and the bellies were full, I smooched him sweetly and said,

"Now you're as old as me.  Ha."

5 comments:

  1. Sounds perfect!!
    I'm hoping we may get a blog about the "unmentionable acts" down the road!

    Do tell!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holly, I have to seek therapy first.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love love love how you loved up on the WH. He deserves it. You are the goods.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You inspire me to be a better wife. Thanks for sharing!!!

    ReplyDelete