Pages

Friday, June 3, 2011

Doing Good*: Operation Care Drop

And God is able to bless you abundantly, so that in all things at all times, having all that you need, you will abound in every good work.  
II Corinthians 9:8

In the same way, faith by itself, if it is not accompanied by action, is dead.
But someone will say, “You have faith; I have deeds.”
   Show me your faith without deeds, and I will show you my faith by my deeds.
James 2: 17-18**
 
Let me begin by asking you a question.  Are you weary of the war(s) America is fighting overseas?  

Believe me, so are the men and women fighting them.  The "Prayer List" in my local paper mentions a young man who has just left for his third year-long tour in five years.  My brain can't even fathom what that might be like.

Lately, especially with natural disasters abounding both home and abroad, it seems that the battles being fought--and the people fighting them--are largely ignored.  

Here is our chance to change that.

A trio of businesses--IBC Bank, H-E-B (grocery) stores, and Operation Interdependence®--is teaming together for the fourth annual “Operation Care Drop,” which supplies our nation’s soldiers, sailors, airmen and Marines with comforts from home while they are deployed. 

The Operation Care Drop website offers you donation locations (for all y'all Texans and Okies), an opportunity to contribute financially in a secure online way (for anyone interested), a comprehensive list of approved care package items, and most importantly, a way to reach out with your words.  Please take a few minutes and write a letter (have your kids write letters, too!) of support and encouragement to: Dear Servicemember.  

Address your envelopes to:

KGBTexas
Attn: IBC
1919 Oakwell Farms Pkwy., Ste. 100
San Antonio, TX 78218


Your letters will be added to care packages and delivered to more than 40,000 deployed men and women.

Listen to me.  Anyone can give money, and I hope you do.  Anyone can grab a few extra groceries and toiletry items, and I hope you do.  It takes a special person to reach across the miles and touch someone with their words.  Use your powers for good, people.  I know you have it in you.

And hey. From me?  Thanks.






*Doing Good: I would be remiss (and probably sleepless tonight) if I didn't take this opportunity to point out a little grammatical fact. In this instance good is a noun, the definition of which (according to my nemesis, Dictionary.com) is: excellence or merit; kindness: to do goodPlease don't confuse "good" with "well."  The definition of well (adverb) is: in a good or satisfactory manner: Business is going well.  When you ask your children how his test, or her day- or heaven help- his date went, you are hereby morally obligated to correct them if they say, "Good."  If you ask them how they are and they say, "I'm good," you must respond by saying something sarcastic like, "What are you good at/for?" or "Mother Teresa was good, did you feed the poor today?"  

Thank you.  Heed my advice and you are truly doing good.

** I was hesitant to add this verse, fearing that you would think me judgmental or preachy (in areas other than grammar).  I strive to be neither (in areas other than grammar).  The fact is that this verse has weighed heavily on my heart lately.  I share it as something directed at myself and encourage you to figure out what to do with it for your self.



3 comments:

  1. I will post it. I certainly wouldn't be able to take the guilt knowing I caused you TWO sleepless nights in a row!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Was at the HEB today and they had little kits set up at the checkout to buy. They also have a donation box set up too-a nice easy way to help & say thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Karen, thanks for helping us get the word out about Operation Care Drop. We just launched our Facebook page yesterday and online donations are increasing (albeit slowly) via the website. :)

    ReplyDelete