Pages

Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Veg Week: Day One

Let's get the confession out of the way first, okay?  First, this is not the Greek salad we ate last night.  This is a Greek salad I made in August of 2008.  The one I made last night (with the WH's help), on the fly, between a wrestling match and a track meeting, was dumped unceremoniously into a large Tupperware bowl.  It resembled this one, with the exception of the feta, which was plentiful and crumbled.

Second, I feel the need to confess that while I (we) planned and prepared a vegetarian meal, I had a non-veg second-string back-up plan waiting in the wings.  I really didn't believe that the meal, as Mary designed it, would be sufficient to fill post-track and  -wrestling bellies.

So there.  

Now, on to the meal.  

Greek salad, which according to my Greek friend Tinsie, is made from peeled cucumber slices, red onions, green bell pepper, kalamata olives, tomatoes wedges, and sliced (not crumbled) Feta cheese, sprinkled with oregano and drizzled with olive oil. (That was a grammatically weird sentence.)  In Greece, obviously, this is not known as a "Greek salad."  Rather, it is a Rustic Salad (xorˈjatiki saˈlata).

The hummus Mary linked to was seasoned with parsley and lemon juice. I decided to switch it to cilantro and lemon juice, cilantro being the most glorious of all the herbs and perpetually residing in my crisper drawer.  When I went to throw the garbanzos in the food processor, there were no garbanzos to be found in all of creation.  Instead, I dug up a Jillian Michaels recipe I've been wanting to try and made that instead.  FYI: I added an extra clove of garlic and a good bunch of cilantro to the food processor.  Do it.

The Tzatziki was Costco's finest.  I had planned to make it myself, but Monday is our craziest day and I have recently become The Kind of Girl Who Knows Her Limitations.  It's a fine kind of girl to be.

Add to this gourmet spread one loaf of crusty multigrain bread (also from Costco) and you've got a feast, my friends.

A feast which magically, mysteriously, marvelously filled two out of three* young stomachs, and which happily filled those of two adults.  The Wonder Hub declared it a "Do Over," which loosely translated means, "Yeah, I would eat this again."

So there you have it.  Veg Week: Day One.  Success!!


*The third young stomach was nowhere to be found at dinner and probably filled himself on taquitos, chips and salsa at home group.

3 comments:

  1. http://www.everydaydish.tv/index.php?page=recipe&recipe=167

    Trying this falafel recipe tonight with Ina Garten's Spinach Pie (it's really Spanokopita filling in a phyllo crust) and vegan tzatziki.

    We had sauerkraut, mashed potatoes and LightLife's Italian Sausage last night.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmm. That Greek salad reminds me of the one we ate at the pizza place when I visited you, Karen. I am going to make it, even if I am the only one in my house who will eat it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmmm! So fun!! And when I'm feeling especially ambitious and generous in the area of culinary arts... I will refer to this post!

    ReplyDelete