Pages

Monday, March 21, 2011

What I'm Cooking: Garbanzo Week

Just kidding.  It's not really Garbanzo Week.  It could be, though.  My lovely neighbors gave me this:



Maybe it's their way of saying, "Quit borrowing eggs, lady!"

I should really share the love with the egg-borrowing.  It's only fair.

They always give me eggs.  I should bake them cookies.
Or give them these:



which almost made me pass out.  When they said, "Whole Cut Up Chicken,"  I guess they weren't kidding.

So.  What I'm cooking...  I was exhausted last night, both from watching the Wonder Hub paint trim and from two workouts designed to, if not create a calorie deficit, at least help make up for eating like a teenager over the weekend.  I struggled mightily with the menu.  My synapses were refusing to fire and I could not think of anything but soup.

I love soup.  I could totally do Soup Week, but then you'd have to send out a search party to find my remains.  It would not go over well here.  However, since there was no soup last week, I am feeling free to have Soup Night twice this week.

So.  What I'm cooking...  Did I tell you that I skipped The Dreaded Commissary yesterday?  It was hanging over my head all the livelong day, making me cranky, but I just couldn't make myself go.  I almost skipped it again today, but since there was leftover Vegetable Green Curry and approximately two tablespoons of hummus left in the house, I had no choice.  I did what any reasonable girl would do: I procrastinated.  Then, I procrastinated some more.  Then, I went.

So.  What I'm cooking...
(In no particular order and subject to time, space and my emotional state.)

PW's Homemade Chicken and Noodles
Chicken Noodle Soup was already on the menu, along with open-faced toasted cheese sandwiches on crusty multigrain bread, but I came across this while procrastinating and decided to give it a go.  The chicken parts are simmering, and I have already sauteed and set aside the mirepoix (which I prefer to have sauteed, rather than just chucked in later).  About 20 minutes before the sportsters roll on in, I'll slice the bread and toast it.  Then I will put the toasted pieces on a cookie sheet, cover them with provolone and sharp cheddar, and broil them 'til they're bubbly (or charred, depending on time, space, and my emotional state).

Veggie Pizza, as I'm still trying to squeeze in the last of Mary's recipes from last week.  I will make her crust, and top it with pesto, fresh mozzarella, and tomatoes.  Then, I will make another one with turkey pepperoni, so the youngsters don't touch my pizza.  Okay, so they'll still touch it, but this will hold them off long enough for me to eat my fill.

Mary's Quiche.  Again, wanting to make all the recipes she gave us last week.  Quiche for dinner is fairly common here, but I generally do a Mexican-themed quiche so that the sausage, cheese and salsa detract from the presence of either spinach or broccoli.  I'll let you know how undisguised broccoli goes over.

Chicken enchiladas, to which I will add Mexican rice (like I made it last week) and a salad.  Hopefully, there will be leftovers so that the next night, when I make...

Ms. Wendy's Mexican Chicken Corn Chowder, the leftovers can serve as filler.  Making Ms. Wendy's Chowder will make me a hero.  The boys love Ms. Wendy, and they love her chowder.

I realize that's not really enough meals to get me through the week, but inevitably something like the Five Guys incident, or desperately thrown together waffles, will happen.  I did buy the ingredients for another round of green curry, because the curry paste I bought at the ethnic grocery store apparently seared the taste-buds right off of someone's mouth (more leftovers for me).

In the end, things always work out.

2 comments:

  1. I thought you were NEVER going to tell us what you were cooking! I have 2 similar items on my menu, doubt you will ever cartch me cooking a quiche though! I am going to make a version of chicken noodle with lots of veges. Can't decide if I will be using rice or noodles though. I am also making a pizza with turkey pepperoni, black olives & red pepper. I love food, sigh...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not a huge fan of chicken and rice soup. Seems like it should be for sick people...

    ReplyDelete