Pages

Monday, March 7, 2011

What I'm cooking: Paint Week

We found our Virginia home during a one-week, spring break trip from our home in Alabama.  We rolled back into the VA the last week of June, boarded Molly with a local vet, set up camp for ourselves at a local military base, signed (four thousand times) on the dotted line, and painted for a week straight.

Let me be clear on this, because it's important: The Wonder Hub did not paint.  My amazing, self-sacrificing, endlessly hilarious, bad-ass Russian missionary friend, Kim (dubbed Kim Possible by the Monkey), and I painted.  We painted until we were delirious and then we painted some more.  We painted the entire house, save the upstairs hallway and three bathrooms.

Did I mention this is my first house?

Since that time, which is approximately 2.5 years, the Wonder Hub and I have painted two bathrooms, and re-painted one small family room and kitchen.  The Wonder Hub himself has painted parts of the basement.  Grudgingly.  The Wonder Hub is not a fan of painting.

So.  This week we are re-painting the front entry, the living and dining rooms, and the upper stairway.  We are painting for the first time the upstairs hallway (glory, hallelujah).  The WH has taken a week of leave in which to make this magic happen.

It should be really, really fun.

So, what does this have to do with this week's menu?  Seriously, if you have to ask that question, you are not in charge of cooking for your household.  My house is already turned upside-down, crabby words have already been spoken, mud is being applied to nail holes as I type.

As such, I have made this week's menu as simple as possible.  It looks like this (in no particular order):

  • Judie's Lasagna, already put together and waiting in the fridge, with frozen garlic bread and a salad.
  • Simple Sesame Noodles, made with whole wheat (thin) spaghetti, chicken and nothing else.  I will make a double batch and call the scallions and cilantro vegetables.
  • Rani's Spicy Sausage Potato Soup, made with healthy(er) chicken sausage and kale.  The first run-through with this recipe was a HUGE hit.  I'll ask Rani if I can share it with you.
  • Potato Leek Soup, because, a) I bought four pounds of bacon on Saturday and, b) my sister-in-law mentioned on Facebook that she had cooked with leeks for the first time, and now I can't stop thinking of them.  We loooooooove leeks.  
  • Spicy Pulled Pork, from Ree Drummond's cookbookAlways a hit.  On tortillas with whatever fixins I can manage.
Ree and me!

 Happy week, all!  Your prayers for the peace of my household are greatly appreciated.  Your showing up at my door, paintbrush in hand, might be appreciated even more!

7 comments:

  1. I could help paint if you pay for my flight, Karen!! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Martina, you don't even have to paint. Just COME. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. share away...I am so glad you liked it...we adapted it to fit our group from another olive garden copy recipe...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Karen, it must be a family thing. My WH painted about 1/2 a wall and threw down the roller to declare, "I don't paint!" Needless to say, I have painted A LOT in the past 6 months!

    Good luck :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, but you'll have to wait to see it. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just reading this blog a couple months late....trying to catch up on all I've missed. Anyhoo, just wanted to tell you that once again, I know why we need to be neighbors! I LOVE to paint, and not just the big roller brushes either. I love to TRIM with a little tiny brush, and I don't even need to tape off. I have been known to hand paint an entire room with a 4 inch brush, and enjoy every minute of it. Until my hand is crimped into a permanent paintbrush holder, that is. Ok, I must stop my comment now because I have some more blogs to catch up on.

    ReplyDelete