Pages

Saturday, March 19, 2011

Veg Week: That Korean Dish I can't Pronounce

Bibimbap.

I don't know how to pronounce it, but the Wonder Hub assures me I can tell you I've conquered it.

(Pause for deafening applause.)

Really, we conquered it.  While I chopped and sliced and sauteed like a madwoman, he put together the bulgogi.





I think he drew the short end of that stick, except that he harangued and harassed me throughout the process, which:

made it all worthwhile (for him).
worked toward his ongoing goal of never being asked to help in the kitchen.

I know that sounds harsh, but someday I'll tell you about his infamous Tuna Melts.  Then you'll understand.  You'll sympathize.  You'll give me knowing looks and shake your heads in his direction.  You will.

In the meantime, Bibimap.  Here's what I did:

I watched this video three times.
  • I chopped and sliced and julienned.
  • I sauteed big batches of yellow squash, baby bok choy, bean sprouts, baby spinach and portabella mushrooms (prepared the way you told me to, Teri, but still not successfully disguised.  Bubba, when told it was the meat of the meal, said, "Yeah. That's a mushroom," and passed it by.) in small quantities of sesame oil and soy sauce.
  • I made an enormous mess.
  • I drooled over the wonderful smells.
  • I put it all together on a plate:

Next time (there will be a next time!) I will:
  • Not be out of peanut oil.
  • Not put the sauteed bok choy next to the sauteed spinach (My people have aesthetic issues.  No they don't.  I do.)
  • Try new and more veggies.
  • Find fresh bean sprouts, because I suspect that using canned bean sprouts is shameful.
I had one little coup d'état in this effort.  I found it at the World Market, or whatever that fishy and fascinating all-ethnicities grocery store is.  It was this:




Gochuchang Paste, which added a delicious kick of spice to the sweet, garlic-and-ginger undertones of the WH's bulgogi.

Score!

Greek: 5
Eggplant: 2
Enchiladas: 3.5, or 4
Bibimbap: 4

No comments:

Post a Comment