Pages

Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Veg Week: Day Two, or They're on to me

This is Martha's photo, not mine.
Two out of three boys commented on the lack of meat in last night's meal.

Nobody called for a "Do Over."  However,

there were ZERO leftovers.

I used smaller, Italian eggplant, in hopes of sweeter flavor (thanks, Char!).

I burned the tar out of some of it, which meant my layers were a bit lacking.  (Cut the eggplant on the generous side of 1/2" thick, trust me.)

I used about a cup of cheese, instead of 1/2 cup, thinking, "You can never have too much cheese."  I was wrong.

The bechamel sauce was wonderful.  Beyond wonderful.  What else can you do with bechamel sauce?

We had another loaf of multi-grain bread and a large green salad with our Eggplant Parmesan.  Man, was it green.  I have yet to go to the commissary this week (picture Calvin making a gagging face), and all I had in the crisper was hearts of Romaine, broccoli, and a green bell pepper.  I added some feta and Craisins, but still, it was pretty lacking aesthetically.  I'm sure the men in my household were greatly bothered.

  • The youngest gobbled up eggplant but tarried over his salad.  At age eight he prayed, "Dear Lord Jesus. Thank you for this day and please help them to discover that salad is really bad for you. Amen." The broccoli was the last to go, which I blame on his grandfather.  I half suspect that Molly Sue ate the broccoli, but I'll never know.
Scratch that.  He'll tell me tonight.  He takes after his Auntie Shari, who was nicknamed NBC (for good reason) when we were children.
  • The middle ate two helpings but admitted sheepishly that he wasn't all that excited about it.  He never wants to hurt my feelings, sweet boy.  Truthfully, nine times out of ten he's the one I'm cooking for.  His earnest appreciation is all the thanks my (middle child's) heart requires.
  • The eldest was pretty frank in his assessment.  "It's got no meat."  However, his mouth was crammed full at the moment he said this, so clearly it wasn't a deal-breaker.
So, yes.  They might be on to the whole Veg Week theme.  And, no.  They were not thrilled with Eggplant Parmesan.  But, heck.  They ate it all and nobody complained.  Sometimes, that's all a girl can hope for.

Next up!: Vegetable Enchiladas.

1 comment:

  1. You are so, so brave my friend! I tried cooking with eggplant. Once.

    You inspire me.

    ReplyDelete