Pages

Thursday, March 17, 2011

Veg Week: Enchiladas

He hadn't even put his hiney in the chair when Moose declared, "Dude, those look amazing!"

Dude is my name, fyi.

After the Wonder Hub prayed (including the ritual "God bless the chef," which really means, "Sweet Lord, please let this food be edible!"), I halted everything to grab the camera.




Unfortunately, the teenagers had come in from track practice and proceeded to devour
Yogurt
Tortilla chips with melted cheese
Cold pizza
Chicken sandwiches
Milk

and were not all that hungry when dinner was ready 30 minutes later.  Go figure.  As a result, it was hard to get a read on their acceptance level of this meal.  They both said they like my chicken enchiladas better, but that they would eat this again.

The Monkey came in from back-to-back wrestling and lacrosse practices and would have happily devoured his brother's foot.  Needless to say, he loved them.

The WH liked them, but is still talking about Monday's Greek meal.  He knows it's Veg Week, and I'm afraid that for all of eternity every vegetarian meal will be compared against Greek salad, hummus and tzatziki.  On a scale of five, he rated:
Greek: 5
Eggplant: 2
Enchiladas: 3.5, or 4

I, for one, thought they were awesome.  This is what I did:
  • Misread the recipe and put both teaspoons of cumin in the sauce, instead of one in the sauce and one in the filling.  I wish I had added one to the filling, for a total of three.  It would have been great.  Also, in regard to the spinach.  Frozen spinach is a crime against humanity, so I sauteed a bag of baby spinach in a little olive oil and added that to the filling, along with a can of corn instead of frozen.  
  • I smashed an avocado on a plate and then squeezed a little lemon juice over it, the way my favorite Guatemalan taught me to do.  Then, I put the avocado plate on my side of the table and shared it only with the WH, the way living with teens has taught me to do.
  • I used a can of mild Rotel in the rice, along with a 4oz can of diced green chiles.  Good stuff.
  • I dumped the tortilla chips in a bowl (Polish, Rachel!) and said, "Have at it," which is exactly what Moose the Carb Addict wanted to hear.
  • We scraped the last couple ounces of salsa out of a jar, because that's all we had.
I give them a FIVE.  They were wonderful.  Because of all the pre-meal snacking, there are actually leftovers for me today.  It just doesn't get any better than that, people.  It's the best of all possible worlds.

In other news, I wrote a blog post yesterday for the women's ministry at my church.  If you like, you can read it here.

2 comments:

  1. i have been dreaming of that greek salad. i'm totally with the wonder hub on this one. tell moose he needs some Red Hot Mama polish on those pigs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ok gross...feet and food is wrong.

    ReplyDelete