Pages

Monday, February 7, 2011

What I'm cooking this week

I have absolutely no idea.

It's Monday, 12:48pm.  It's too late to head to the commissary.  The big kids are out of school at 2:00, and they can't live without me.

Okay, so they can. They would probably Love.It if I went to the commissary now.  First off, there would be food to eat.  Second, I wouldn't be here to say, "No!  Leave the tortilla chips alone!  Eat some fruit, have a yogurt, find something with protein, for Pete's sake!"  (I do, to use the young adult's vernacular, literally say this every single day.)  I also wouldn't be here to ask their favorite question of all time: "What do you have for homework tonight?"

Yes, they can live without me, but I'm still not going.

I'm not even going to think about buying groceries today.  We're going to live off the land...or live on love...or more likely, forage for vittles among the vast store of Superbowl leftovers.  I think, with a little luck, I can make it until Wednesday.   Here is how I'll pull it off:

After school:
Fruit and yogurt (with much thanks to the Wonder Hub for going to Costco over the weekend)
Nachos made with leftover ground beef with beans, smothered in leftover queso with Rotel

An hour later:
String cheese and a smoothie

An hour later:
"Quit whining!  You won't die before dinner!"

Dinner:
On Mondays we meet with four lovely families that make up our church small group.  Word on the street is that Bridget is bringing Belgian waffle batter and all the fixins, including fruit, which officially makes it a well-rounded meal.  For once in our lives, we'll go on time.

Tomorrow:

After school:
Same/Same, subbing leftover bbq pulled pork for the nachos.

Dinner:
Green Chili Stew, adapted from a recipe someone gave me when we lived in Germany.  It's simple and savory.  I finally cooked that pork loin I bought last week, and set aside enough for a big pot.  I am also the proud owner of a freezer full of roasted Hatch green chilis, which will take this meal from average to stupendous.  Served with plenty of cornbread on the side, and some grilled sweet potato fries (not because the go together, but because I have sweet potatoes) to ease my guilty mind.

Wednesday:
This is where it gets tricky.

After school:
I have one box of Taquitos hiding in the back of the freezer, and there is always peanut butter.

Dinner:
I never got around to the Curried Butternut Squash Soup* last week, so I could make that.  There might be a small rebellion with back-to-back soup days, but I can take them.  Really.  I have this "freaky leg move" that takes down even a 150 pound high school senior in a flash.  I'll make more of Mel's Famous Rolls, which last week became two loaves of Mel's Famous Bread, and I'll be golden.

After that, dear reader, I am toast.  I'll come up with something brilliant (or buy frozen pizza) and get back to you.


*This is a different recipe than I usually use, but the addition of honey intrigues me.  I'll let you know how it goes, and if "freaky leg move" becomes necessary.

5 comments:

  1. Do you serve the Taquitos and the peanut butter together? This is hilarious! I need you to teach me a suitable 'freaky leg move' for smaller children.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had not thought of that, but you can bet I'll be daring them to give it a try!

    Little people are easy to take down, it's the big ones who need to be reminded that you're still boss.

    Crissy--peanut butter and dill pickles. Go for it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so with you sister for two reasons;
    1. It is in our membership rules (sssc) that you must promise not to feed your children frozen pizza if you can't make one month's session
    2. I have 8 meals plus in the freezer and I struggled with what to make tonight. It seems even the resources don't help me anymore...

    ReplyDelete