Pages

Thursday, February 24, 2011

Random Thursday

1. I had helped myself to a second serving of leftover Tikka Masala (I hide it in the back of the fridge so no one else eats it) for lunch.  My inner dialogue went like this:

You made it with fat free half & half.  It barely has any fat.
Maybe skip the rice this time around?
Yeah, but turmeric is so good for you.
What the heck is fat free half & half, anyway?

It's a valid question, don't you think?  What exactly is fat free half & half?

1. a.  Half an avocado is virtually undetectable in a morning smoothie.  Any more than that and I'm busted.

2. I sing to my dog.  I think she loves it.  I make up silly songs about how wonderful she is, and she responds by eyeballing me, rolling over, and going back to sleep.  I guess my sweet voice has a lullaby effect for her.

I sing to my God, too.  When it's just us, I call Him Yahweh.  Yahweh is the name He gave Himself when making a covenant with Abraham.  I love to be reminded that Yahweh is the same today as He was all those years ago.  Hebrews 13:8 says, "Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever."  Think about that one for a minute.

I think Yahweh likes it when I sing to Him.  I'm glad, because nobody else seems to.  After church one day the Wonder Hub asked me, "Can you hear yourself when you sing?"

3. I've been limited by my physical therapist to the elliptical and the recumbent bike for indoor exercise, walking for outdoor.  Every time I get on the elliptical, I consider poking my eye out (and yes, I do believe that is a grammatically correct description for what I feel.  Poke my eye.out.).  Monday, in addition to eye-poking boredom, I was subjected to The Real Housewives of New Jersey.  Clearly, there are plenty of people who love that show, but I am not one of them.  First, um, what exactly does "Real" refer to?

I could do a Real Housewives show.  I could.  There would be no Hell's Angels or whatever it is that they inject into their lips to make them look like they need a Benadryl.Stat!  There would be no Bentleys or fur coats.  There would be no ridiculously long nails jabbing at iPhone screens as housewives prepare to give each other pieces of their minds.  Which, really.

There would be a lot of feeding of children.  Do those women have children?  There would be chores, and homework, and shivering in the cold wet spring and fall at said children's outdoor sporting events.  And laundry.  Don't forget the never-ending laundry.

Okay, so maybe I don't have what the Real Housewives franchise is looking for.

4. There are still remnants of my birthday pedicure hanging on for dear life.

5. I wrote that, realized how embarrassing it really was, and went upstairs to take my toenail polish off.  So...public humiliation is motivational.  Good to know.

6. I'm down to one cup of coffee.





In the afternoon.  One cup of coffee all day?  Are you crazy?  That's like saying, "I'll have one Thin Mint Girl Scout cookie, please."  Nonsense.

I've been using Almond Joy creamer, just for that one cup.  'Cause you know, sometimes you feel like a nut...

6. I was surprised at the response I received to my confession about writing utensils.  I had no idea people felt so strongly.  I had no idea I was so...normal.

7. Except that you're not.  Normal.  The vast majority of people who wrote, either here or on Facebook, said that they need blue, skinny pens for their lives to be complete.

Weirdos.  I love you all.  Enjoy your skinny, dental-instrument-scritching, nails-on-chalkboards blue pens.  I and my supply of My First Ticonderoga pencils will get along just fine.


8.  I wondered, just for a second, if there might come a day when I've run out of random thoughts. But then I remembered something I want to tell you...

7 comments:

  1. http://www.roalddahlstore.com/Ticonderoga-Pencil.aspx

    Take a look Karen!

    BTW, I'm the same way about my writing utensils. Weight and the perfect lead softness is what I need.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my. Seriously. Roald Dahl used Ticonderoga pencils!!! I am honored.

    Thank you, Ms. Mary. You made my day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just do the elliptacal, poke yourself in the eye and know it is temporary eye poking. Try to mix it up, really fast paced intervals help or go on one for 15 and then the other.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Cher. I did an hour yesterday, with the help of a friend to chat with. I felt really great....and then came home and ate half a box of Thin Mints...

    ReplyDelete
  5. You didn't get those thin mints from MY girlscout! Also, I FINALLY figured out why Molly follows me all over the house with that pitiful look on her face...she is waiting for me to burst into song. Geesh, she is so high maintenance!

    ReplyDelete
  6. DO NOT EVER run out of random thoughts! It made me miss you though....

    ReplyDelete
  7. Teri--I can't believe you don't sing to my girl! We may have to renegotiate the dog-sitting...

    Your girlscout didn't come to my house! Everyone else's did.

    Chris--I miss you, too.

    ReplyDelete