Pages

Monday, February 21, 2011

What I'm Cooking: Chickenless Week

Just kidding.  I made a big 'ol pot of chicken noodle soup this afternoon.  Remember that whole chicken I bought last week?  It's in the freezer.  It may still be there when Jesus comes.  A whole frozen chicken just seems like a lot of work.  Besides, I was wandering through Costco after church today (wondering just how many calories I consume there every week), when I heard the whole roasted chickens calling my name.  Never one to ignore a whole roasted chicken, I grabbed it.  When we got home, I chopped up celery, onion and carrots, minced some garlic and sauteed them all.  I wished I had saved that little stubby leftover end of the ginger from last night's Tikka Masala, but I didn't, so I dumped in the chicken torn from the roaster (thanks to the WH), covered it with broth and added some salt and pepper, rosemary and a couple of bay leaves.  Ten minutes before we were ready to eat, I threw in about 8oz of egg noodles and cranked up the heat while I ran to the grocery store in my ragged slippers and bought a five dollar (ack) loaf of three cheese semolina bread.  Which is now gone.

Now...the Wonder Hub just sat down with me to brainstorm this week's menu (he has graciously offered to hit the commissary with me tomorrow morning) and try as we might, we couldn't quite make it chickenless  (chicken-free?).  Here is what we've got (in no particular order):

Spicy Sausage Potato Soup, because there was no kale at the commissary last week.
Pad Thai, with chicken, because I don't eat shrimp.
The Naan I bought last week for Tikka Masala.
The veggies still waiting for me to buy Marsala wine for roasting.
Caramelized Onion and Proscuitto Pizza.  Mercy.
Loaded baked potatoes, with a bunch of healthy stuff and a side of chili so no one will starve to death.
Taco Salad, which really will be taco salad for the WH and me, tacos for the boys.
Waffles of Insane Greatness.  A Rachel Ray recipe Mel gave me, identical to this one.  Served with sausages or bacon and eggs and biscuits and smoothies and whatever else is required to fill the Marianas Trench.
Mom's Banana Bread. With chocolate chips.  Always.


4 comments:

  1. Here is my go to waffle recipe http://www.food.com/recipe/waffles-222315
    There are millions of recipes out there but I like this one for the following reasons a) there is no added sugar (who needs sugar with all that syrup) b)I use applesauce instead of oil and it makes them soft and yummy (bonus less fat and more fruit - I use homemade applesauce and there is no sugar but the store bought ones have sugar added) c)I use all wheat flour and add in wheat germ and ground flax seed for the prettiest brown waffles that get gobbled up just as fast as the white ones... just saying.

    We tried to find a sub for kale, too. But there is nothing out there quite like it. It is very firm and holds it's texture in the soup well. It tastes sort of brocollish but not too overpowering.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Karen~Thaw out that whole chicken rub it with a little olive oil and whatever seasoning you want...a little poultry seasoning, garlic, rosemary...no liquid and roast it in there. You have perfect, moist roasted chicken. Then I pull the bones from the leftovers and add water, and veggies and cook it all day add noodles at the end and voila chicken soup the next night. Love the one time washing of the crockpot for 2 dinners! Actually cuts down on the work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just made banana bread also and threw in chocolate chips, crazy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Alright, Rani. I'm making your waffles this week. Will let you know how it goes over.

    Rocky--will you come do it for me???? Just kidding, I'll put it on next week's list.

    Cher--I'm rubbing off on you!

    ReplyDelete