Pages

Monday, April 11, 2011

What I'm Cooking: This Week...and Next

We're T-minus six days 'til I have to get to put on a bathing suit.  There are, obviously, both good and bad things about this.  In honor of the Wonder Hub (King of the List), let me list them for you:

Good
My in-laws are coming!
We're going to the beach!
I've asked God to be merciful and warm it up for us

Bad
The ten million things I need to do before their arrival
The ten million things I need to do before their arrival
God, while undoubtedly pleased with my input, can do whatever He likes with the weather

And foremost in my mind:
What on earth am I going to feed everyone?

First things first.  What am I going to feed them this week?

(In no particular order and subject to change according to how tight my jeans are feeling.):

BLTsYeah.  Bathing suits and too-tight jeans aside, I have two pounds of bacon and a loaf of whole grain white bread sitting around.

For the record: I am anti-white bread, whole grain or otherwise. BLTs are the sole exception to this rule.

Also for the record: It will take the whole loaf and all two pounds of bacon to fill these people.  Who am I kidding?  It will take more.  I will make a huge, mandatory salad.  I will have the bacon cooking in the background.  They will devour their salads without complaint.  There will be peace on earth.

Also, avocado.  Avocado on a BLT makes it a BLAT, which tastes much better than it sounds.

Quesadillas made from the Dr. Pepper pork roast, which I cooked alllll day long on Saturday, and which we haven't actually found the time to eat.  The boys did have a little as a late-evening snack last night, and declared it good.

More of this soup, which was most excellent.  I really want you to make this.  Unless you hate curry, then I really don't.  If you make it, I recommend that you:
a) don't get all proud of yourself for making a vegetarian meal and then realize that you used chicken broth instead of vegetable broth and then realize that "pride (indeed) goeth before a fall."
b) don't leave it simmering on 4 instead of on low when you leave the house to take a boy to meet his friends at the movies, inadvertently cooking the tar out of the sweet potatoes and turning them to mush.
c) do use fresh ginger, and consider exceeding what the recipe calls for.
d) do sub fresh summer squash (the yellow stuff) for green beans.
e) do add the zucchini and summer squash right before eating so that they retain a little crunch.

BBQ Chicken Pizza.  Perfect Friday night food.  Perfect for knocking my father-in-law's sock off.  I think.  I hope.  I'll get back to you on that.

Raisin Bread French Toast with Maple Butter Apples from the 80 Breakfasts blog.  Of course I'll double, triple, or even quadruple the recipe.  The bacon will be gone, so I will serve this with Morningstar Farms meatless sausage patties, and fourteen gallons of milk.

Side note: the best french toast I ever made was with Challah bread.  If that opportunity presents itself, I highly recommend you jump on it.

Spaghetti with meat sauce.  Mostly because I can't think of anything else, but also because I can make the sauce with my eyes closed, let it simmer all day, and be confident that it will be a huge hit.  Spicy sausage guarantees rave reviews.  I'll serve it with more Mandatory Salad and two loaves of Costco's freshly baked whole grain bread.

And next week?  What will I feed them at the beach?  Please tell me, because I have no earthly idea.

2 comments:

  1. ummm I am thinking, hot dogs, cheetos, powdered donuts...pringles, pop, wine. Oh yeah, that is camping...not the beach. Go to food network to the barefoot contessa she has a section I think for a beach party. I know this because I found hamburgers on it, AND I know you:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Cher. You do know me well...

    ReplyDelete