Pages

Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Random Thursday: Beach Brain


1. We were passing Williamsburg when I realized I had forgotten my bathing suit.

I was reticent to tell the Wonder Hub, who had asked me on three separate occasions if it was packed.  I finally 'fessed up the next morning.  His (compassionate) response?

"Sucks to be you."

2. I was sitting on the sunny deck of the beach house with my mother-in-law, midway through our first beach-front pot of coffee when I realized I had forgotten a hat.

And my million dollar sunscreen of champions, the one and only… nothin' is gettin' through this sucker...sunscreen.

3. It's probably a good thing that the Wonder Hub was in charge of food.

For the record: he did a great job.  He used the list my friend Wendy (thanks, Wendy!) emailed me and tailored it for our week.  He planned for big breakfasts, easy lunches, dinners out and lots and lots of snacks.  He even looked up a recipe.

I wish you knew how amazing that is.

The Wonder Hub operates on the Five Finger Menu Plan.  Count with me:

1. Breakfast (of the pancake/waffle variety)
2. Tacos (with all the fixins)
3. Spaghetti (sauce from a jar. Blech.)
4. Pizza (frozen)
5. Breakfast (of the egg variety)

4. A good man makes you pancakes.  A really good man lets you dip your pancakes in his syrup without complaining.  A great man reaches over and pours you more syrup when you've used all of his.

5. I spent a ridiculous amount of time going through photos yesterday.  Among the shots you will never see are:

Twenty (or so) of the boys, on the deck and at the beach, in really inappropriate (but completely hilarious) poses.

Five that are now deleted from both the memory card and the computer.

Two words: FULL MOON(S).

Really, photographs of children's hineys are cute when they're little and sweet (referring to the children here), but not so much when they're teenagers.  Believe you me.

6. Fran texted and told me two things.  The first is that they have named their GPS Molly Sue.

Have I mentioned how much I love them?

I'll have to ask permission before I reveal the second.  It's a wee bit incriminating.

7. Moose mocks me every time I say, "text message," instead of "text."  As in, "Send your brother a text message."

For that reason alone I will always, always say, "text message."

7. I knew after about 15 seconds on the beach that it didn't make the slightest bit of difference that I hadn't managed to get a haircut before the trip.  My hair looked like this all week:


The beach just might be the perfect place for someone with my hairdressing skills.

8. Molly and I were on the beach at high tide, the full moon rising just beyond the deafening waves.  I felt the awesome (as in AWE, not as in dude) majesty of my God.  It was a tangible thing that made my heart skip beats in wonder.  As we stood silently and praised Him, I understood that this was God's mighty power, restrained.

9. I will pay you one million dollars to come and finish my laundry...but only if you show up at the door with several hundred dollars worth of groceries and a strong desire to banish the sand that has taken over my floors.

I'll make the coffee if you'll promise not to comment on my hair.

2 comments:

  1. you look wonderful. please tell me that you relaxed. i need for SOMEONE to be relaxed ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am. I was.

    FYI--just received email from my father who says he and Pat are headed this way with groceries, but will need an advance on their million before arriving...

    ReplyDelete