Pages

Sunday, April 3, 2011

What I'm Cooking: April 3-9

Every week is an adventure at my house.  Whether it be vegetarian adventures or feeding people with no groceries adventures, life is never boring.

This week is an adventure because, as I type, two of the people most dear to me in this world are driving up the I-95, pointed in the direction of my humble (read: paint job still not finished) house.

I'm giddy!

In the oven, this very minute, is cooking a German (red raspberry) streusel, which we will have for dessert after a dinner of...

Greek salad, homemade hummus, tzatziki (not homemade, give me a break), and large quantities of some kind of bread which the WH will go get when he is done killing zombies in the basement.

For the record: Zombies must be killed.  At least that's what they tell me.

Also on the menu (in no particular order and subject to change according to Moose's ability to suck down carbs in a single bound, the number of times I need to wear my cool new rainboots to sporting events this week, and the level of crabbiness I may or may not exhibit at any given moment.):

Lacrosse moms in the wind, rain, sun and hail on Saturday


The soup I didn't make last week but for which I am now the proud owner of all necessary ingredients, due to a desperate, early-morning commissary run.
Ree's Dr. Pepper Shredded Pork, which I also didn't make last week but for which I am now the proud owner of all necessary ingredients...  I'm happy to report that sometime over the course of the last week I have been relieved of that nagging bit of resentment I once felt concerning this recipe. So.  Shredded pork, sweet potato fries and coleslaw.  I bought a 7 pound pork roast and am hoping against hope for leftovers.
My Favorite Pizza.  For Pastor and Fran.  Because I want to impress them with my cooking skills.  Pastor and Fran were among the dubious recipients of my very first Thanksgiving meal, waaaay back in 2003.  They'll tell you it was wonderful, but they're like that.  I want to knock their socks off, and this recipe (for which I hold absolutely no resentment) is just the ticket.
Tacos.  The basic kind, make with beef and seasoned with this.  At the Wonder Hub's request.
Tonja's Infamous Chix Penne.  Tonja and I went to Rapid City Christian School together, you know, a couple of years ago.  When she posted something about this recipe on Facebook, I begged her for it.  Seriously.  A recipe with infamous in its title?  I'm IN.

And that, my friends, is it.  That's all.  I won't cook another thing, even if they cry like little girls.

7 comments:

  1. all the food asise, i want to know who owns the cool boots with the skulls of them?

    ReplyDelete
  2. that word should have been "aside". all food aside.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My friend Wendy is the proud owner of those boots. You would love her.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chris would love the red rasperry streusel cake!! :-)
    Enjoy your time with Pastor & Fran! - And your Thanksgiving meal in 2003 was WONDERFUL!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i love those boots with the handles. glad i don't hang out with your crowd, or i would have no money :))

    ReplyDelete
  6. I didn't even get any of the streusel, Martina! Thank you for being so nice about that meal (German woman who doesn't give a hoot about Thanksgiving :-)), too! I like to think I've improved since then, especially with the timing issue!

    Bob--boots with handles are mine! Yes, you are correct about "my crowd." They are faaar better put together than I am, but they love me just the same.

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh cute!! i want those someday when i am a real farmer!

    ps. the password for my reply was 'horti' - ha.

    ReplyDelete