Pages

Friday, January 21, 2011

Miscalculation

All week long, the Wonder Hub and I have been looking forward to a volunteer appreciation dinner given by our church youth pastor.  Food, Fellowship and a night out of the house.  I believe they are having it catered, so I grilled the WH before filling out the rsvp, and again before confirming the rsvp, and once again before emailing with the youth pastor's wife.

So imagine my irritation when he calls home at 5:30 to tell me he's stuck at work twenty miles away, while the dinner, approximately fifty minutes drive from home, begins in one hour.

Grrr.

(There's not much more you can do when the Pentagon calls)

Feeling the weight of my rsvp, the weight of a catered event, the loss of the fellowship (not to mention having to cook dinner myself), I decide that I have to go.  I make a last-ditch call to my friend Julie, hoping to catch a ride.  When she answers the phone, I blurt

Are you going tonight?

Silence.

To the dinner?

Silence.

For the youth group?

"Ummmmm..," Julie stumbles.  I panic.  I'm afraid I've overstepped somehow.  And then she says,

"Karen.  Do you mean the dinner that is next week?"

Uh, yeah.  That dinner.  Are you going? 

1 comment: