Pages

Thursday, December 9, 2010

Why I'm not a food blogger

I love to cook. And bake.  I couldn't cook a thing before I married the Wonder Hub and I found myself responsible for the well-being of not just one four-year old (who would happily eat anything wrapped in a tortilla), but three hungry male-children, and one fully-grown man.

I learned quickly, the way only a person with a captive audience can.  There are stories about excruciating dinners those first six months or so, but I won't tell them today.  Or possibly ever.

My favorite food blogger is Ree Drummond, aka My New BFF.  I read her blog daily, and cook her recipes, on average, four times a week.  Recently, she posted these cookies, from food blogger Jessica, of Bake Me Away.  I asked Jessica if she thought I could make these ahead of time and freeze them, and she pointed me to yet another food blog for direction.

So, armed with the recipe and good advice, I started prep.  Unfortunately, I started prep at that magic hour when children (who have already eaten half the contents of the fridge) are hungry and for the safety of life and limb, dinner must be underway.

I mixed my spices first, eyes rolling back in my head as I ground the cardamom pods.  Glorious.  I made the batter in the way I do, which is to put dry ingredients together before dealing with wet.  I set dry aside, tried to talk a kid into helping, made someone take the dog out, hugged a kid, put rice in the rice cooker and veggies under the broiler (I'm not making mention of the main course, because it came out of a box in the freezer and isn't very impressive), fed the dog, talked on the phone, mixed wet ingredients together, and set the table.

THEN, I put the dough in the fridge for it's mandatory one hour chilling, and ate.  After one hour had elapsed and I had rolled little balls of dough and covered them in the spice mixture (glorious), I popped them into the freezer.

Where I forgot about them.

Until this morning, when I reached in for something or other and got excited and decided to bake just three to see what I could see.



Which was this.


Which, upon closer examination, was this:

Which caused me to walk backward in my memory to the moment I added the baking soda.  Which was not there, in my memory.  Which would explain why my Chai-Spiced Snickerdoodles are flat and crispy.

Which, as you can well imagine, is why I am not a food blogger.

4 comments:

  1. 1). I'm not quite past the part where you learned to cook when you got married. Surely you've been cooking 1/2 your life. I'm jealous.

    2). Your cookies look GLORIOUS to me. Puffy, soft cookies are over rated.

    ReplyDelete
  2. okay, but on a side note, was the chai spice mixture yummy?

    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Actually, Bobbi, the cookies were delicious! Good thing, since there are 33 more of them in the freezer. I made another batch today, with baking soda. The spice mixture might sit on my counter all winter long, the entire house smells soooo good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. haha, I've totally done that before, but with cake! Turns out the absence of a 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda makes a flat (but delicious) pancake. :) Do you follow smitten kitchen? That's one of my favorite food blogs (up there with PW), and she has a category of her disasters: http://smittenkitchen.com/recipes/#Disasters

    Glad you liked the cookies despite the mishap, Karen! :)

    ReplyDelete