Pages

Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Relationship

That's what life is about, people.  I promise you.

I reconnected today with a couple of military spouse friends I had not seen since we all lived in Germany.  I have not seen their faces since 2005, but we picked up where we had left off and ran with it.  It was a beautiful thing, and it made my day.

The life we had each lived in the meantime is what builds and tests us, what passes our time on this earth, what gives us joy and, sometimes, what we all must endure.  Between the three of us, we had

Three children born
One child graduate
Lost two mothers
Lived through breast cancer,
And a total hysterectomy
Moved nine times

The value of shared history can't be underestimated.  There is no balm better than someone who knows you.  For example: I made a desperate call to my 20+ year friend Chris on the way to this lunch date.  Me: "I set up the lunch, but now I can't remember which restaurant we're meeting at!"  Her: (laughing hysterically) "I love that about you!"

See?  Nothing better.  One of the people who knows me best on this earth wasn't even surprised that I would do such a thing.  There was nothing she could do to help, no aid to be given, but man did that phone call bring me down from the ledge.  This monumentally stupid thing didn't even phase her.  And she loves me!

Don't neglect your relationships, people.  Sure, they take effort, and time.  Just remember this: they'll feed your soul when it's hungriest, confirm your identity when you've lost it, and laugh their butts off at you when there is nothing else to be done.

4 comments:

  1. I love this message, and not because you mentioned me! It can take work to stay connected especially since we all have such crazy busy lives, but there is nothing like a long friendship. I need it, and can't live without it. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this post. Love it! If you work at it to stay connected all those feelings and unconditional love will always be there. This post was just I needed. I need to work HARDER!

    ReplyDelete
  3. you make me feel kind of bad for enjoying my hermit holiday ;)) ha.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Like the e-mail with disclosure in which you shared your propensity for being directionally challenged. And I thought, yes, this is what I love about you, Karen. Isn't that funny? I feel like I've known you for a lifetime... and there's so much of your journey that I have no idea about... and I love you... and I can't wait to learn more and more about you!

    ReplyDelete