Pages

Thursday, May 26, 2011

The Problem With Being Me

Late last night, weary and sore from a solid day of yard work, I went to write the Judie's Lasagna post for you.  Because I love you that much.  Months ago, I spent hours on the external hard drive, looking for pictures of Judie for this post.  After strolling down memory lane for the better part of an afternoon, I finally found the above photo, which I saved to the desktop for handy access.  I'm certain you'll be shocked to know that last night I couldn't find it.  Anywhere.

Well, except for on the hard drive, which was down in the basement.  I knew it was there.  The problem was that my behind simply refused to get off the couch to go look for it.  I just.couldn't.do it.  Not even for you.

So.  Fast-forward to this morning, just past smoothie-making and kicking kids out the door.  Hot coffee waiting, I ran down and grabbed the hard drive.  I ran out and started the sprinkler.  Having only 30 minutes to write the post, I set the timer for 15 (both for the sprinkler and to keep myself on track).  I settled in and found the Christmas'04 file, where I just knew this photo resided.  And then...

  1. I found a sweet, sweet photo of the Wonder Hub and Bubba at Heidelberg Castle and emailed it to the WH to make his day.
  2. I found photos of the Monkey wearing a big cheesy grin and the Steelers-colored Christmas hat Ms. Wendy had sewn for him.  I emailed them to make her day.
  3. I looked through all of the Christmas Day photos and mourned the loss of the Lego Years, which have been replaced by the Ridiculously Expensive Electronics Years, and, because the boys are weird, the Shoe Years.
  4. I found a great photo of the boys being silly on a bridge, Heidelberg Castle in the background.  I set it as the desktop background, replacing one of them being silly at Neuschwanstein Castle.
  5. The timer went off. I moved the sprinkler and set the timer for another 15 minutes.
  6. I found a photo of me decorating a Sponge Bob cake for Moose's 12th birthday, and posted it on Patty's FB page, because she helped me make that cake (taking over when it was clear that I was operating faaar beyond my own abilities) which absolutely, totally made his day.
  7. I looked through photos of the birthday party, which entailed taking nine boys in shin guards to the racquetball courts on base and letting them go for broke in some 12-year-old version of Jungle Soccer.
  8. The timer went off again.  I ignored it.
  9. I found fourteen ridiculously over (under?) exposed photos of the Monkey at school wearing his pajamas, that enormous cheesy grin, and a hat that said, "Mr. Apple."  
  10. I promised myself (once again) to take some photography lessons.
  11. I found a photo of Martina and Annika at the Heidelberger Weihnachtsmarkt (Heidelberg Christmas Market), and then one of Annika and Moose, faces grinning through cutouts of Frau and Santa Klaus.  Of course I had to email that to Martina.
And now, dear sweet patient friends, I am out of time.

You still don't know the recipe for Judie's lasagna, but the good news is that now you understand the problem with being me.

5 comments:

  1. I just love reading your blog!! And I love that you sent those pictures!! Thank you! I need to look at old pictures soon - even if it means something else won't get done!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not a problem with being you. Look at all the happiness you spread around! We ♥ Karen!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is prettty much how my day goes. It also explains why nothing every is totally done in my house:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I run into that ALL the time. In fact, I was brought to tears reading your post just THINKING about when that happens to me. We are kindred souls!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love looking through pics, it is a worthwhile way to spend the day. Especially with all the place you have been.

    ReplyDelete