Pages

Thursday, June 2, 2011

FIX THAT GRAMMAR!

This is a photo Mel sent me.  It was taken in Wisconsin, as you can see, in April of 2010.  It's been more than a year, but it still hurts me.  I've considered calling Terry for a little chat (if you enlarge the photo, his number is in the window).  I'm sure he would appreciate being set straight in regard to the apostrophe and its proper use.  If you know Terry please tell him, for the love of all that is good and holy, that he is killing me.

Mel and I had a good discussion on this, because he is of the opinion that the apostrophe's font (See, Terry!  The font belongs to the apostrophe, which gets the apostrophe to designate its ownership of the font.  It's really not that difficult!) is different from that of the word "AUTO," and actually matches the font of the word "TERRY."  Therefore, he claims, the placement of the apostrophe in the word "AUTO" is a joke.  Mel thinks somebody made a funny, as it were.

Har.  Har.

I respectfully disagree.  I think that Terry's grammar is so blessedly poor that not even the hint of matching fonts helped him to place the apostrophe correctly.

I'm sorry, Terry.  I don't mean to be unkind.  It's just that you're killing. me.

5 comments:

  1. Would you be a guest in my online courses? This is the single most annoying mistake students make. I correct it constantly. It is my task in life to rid the world of erroneous apostrophes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your absolutely wright! That would drive me nuts two! Bless his deer heart..... :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Irregardless of you're pusition on correct grammer, punktuation, 'n sentance strucsure, I think we can everyone agree that social media networks - like this here one - and texting, does'nt help to better our skilz. How I wuz able to raise above and maintain my learning from school, we may never no.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're making me LAUGH, dear Karen!! I think I use apostrophes correctly, but I am ALWAYS wondering about my grammar. When you are reading my blog, please forgive any grammar mistakes! :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's actually worse than you think. They didn't put the apostrophe there to show ownership, it's part of the contraction of "AUTO HAS".

    ReplyDelete